Friday, December 22, 2017

Advent Thought 20 and Number 21

I was brought up to understand that December 21st was the shortest day. It was some years before I realised that this referred to daylight. I was boasting my superior knowledge to a friend, as 7 year olds are prone to do, when it was pointed out to me that all days are the same length and I had to admit that yes, of course they are.

But yesterday was a bit light on light. It was gone 8.00 a.m. before the dawn broke properly and by 4 p.m. it had pretty much gone. Fewer than 8 hours of daylight. It is a story of gentle inprovment from now into the spring. Lovely? Is it?

But does the darkness bother you? I sympathise with those who suffer from SAD (Seasonally Affected Disorder) and have to work to get the serotonin/melatonin balance right. I am an indoors sort of person and thrive in gloom. Huddled in a dark corner is a creative place. Put me in the sunlight for too long and I'll crawl under a stone.

But I wonder if you now feel better in the knowledge that the days are getting longer?

What things, over which you have no control, bring you down? The weather? People being stupid or rude?

This is the world into which the baby we came to know as the Son of God was born. A world over which he had surrendered control. A world in which dark stuff happens. But there is a light. It is human now.

...time's still ticking enough to send hearts all over that cliff
So what place is this?
Not sure I fit

No comments: