Monday, December 04, 2017

Advent Thought 2 and Number 27

Do you have favourite numbers? Do you like 25 because it makes you think of Christmas? 

I was born on the 27th. Has it made any difference to the way I see the world? I find that an interesting question. Whenever the number 27 comes up in conversation I am reminded of my birthday. But has it meant, for instance, a willingness to buy products that are over-priced at £27? I'm not sure I can say.

I have lived at numbers:

107 for 22 years
11 for 4 years
1 for 3 years
3 for 4 years
16 for 5 years
82 for 14 years
29 for 11 years and counting

When those numbers crop up do I treat them more favourably than I should?

Adjectives add mood. It was a day. What sort of day? A very grey day. Now we have a picture. It was December 4th, a very grey day. Feels like we now have precision.

If we treat numbers merely as adjectives we will have our favourites and that might cost us.

'I'm counting out time,
Got the whole thing down by numbers.'

No comments: