Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Sits and Thinks

Sometimes I sits and thinks; sometimes I just sits. That is often attributed to A.A.Milne's character Winnie the Pooh but it wasn't him. It first appeared in Punch Magazine at a time when Milne was contributing - but as a cartoon caption. Not sure we can credit it any better than that.

We bought a vicar friend a bench with it as an inscription once. He was not the sort of guy with a reputation for enjoying solitude so it was a cruel gift.

After eight weeks of largely solitary sabbatical I have returned from a visit up north last weekend and two days at a conference with a mate. Before I return to work I have another weekend away and an inside-of-a-week reading retreat with two friends.

I needed to remember how much more whole, how much more together, how much more effective and insightful I am if I sits and, occasionally, thinks.

No comments: