Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Michaelmas

I was ordained at Michaelmas 1984 in Hucknall Parish Church so today is the 30th anniversary of that occasion. It's been an interesting journey to Nailsea, via Nottingham, Chester-le-Street and Leamington Spa.

The Festival of St Michael and All Angels, 'You have ordained the ministries of angels and mortals in a wonderful order...' is one of the few occasions where the church thinks about heavenly spiritual support rather than opposition or earthly ministry. A good day to be ordained upon then.

I'm not sure what my take is on it all. On the one hand if there is any spiritual support going out there I'll have some of it. On the other there is little evidence of such support that is not explainable by rational means. I guess that leaves it down to the believer. Faith or not?

The unseen world is a great comfort to many. Who am I to muck up their well-held beliefs? The rational world is a great comfort to many. Who am I etc?

I've spent a fair bit of today listening to people whose journeys are so much more demanding than my own. They need the angels. I have been blessed (or am lucky to have) a certain adaptability that just plans/reacts, plans/reacts. I quite like it when things go a bit wrong because work is more interesting and challenging then. Maybe that's why I don't see the angels. They're helping more needy people.

I'd like a visitor in white to come for a chat. It would be good to cut through the border fence with a subtle knife.


No comments: